IFX Cloud VDI Plus, a solution service from IFX Networks, makes virtual desktop deployment and management significantly smoother.
Telecommuting is a practice that most companies had to adopt after the worldwide pandemic started. This divided most companies into two groups: those that had been gradually implementing telework, and those that had not even considered it. However, both groups had one goal in common: continue operating safely in the long-term.
The solution to this problem lies in desktop virtualization. This technology allows companies to provide desktops, applications, and data, anytime, anywhere, on any type of device. Workers not only have safe access to their applications and information; they also minimally risk data loss. From an IT perspective, desktop virtualization makes it easy to implement new features without purchasing new equipment or configuring components.
The main advantages of implementing virtual desktops are:
- Capex to Opex conversion. When it comes to PCs, perhaps the biggest challenge is migrating from old operating systems to new ones, which implies a high cost of capital expenditure (Capex). Consequently, many companies see Desktop Virtualization as the best way to reduce Capex and to transfer it to operating expenses (Opex). In this same sense, desktop virtualization helps reduce or eliminate costs associated with implementation, technical support, and technological obsolescence.
- Mobility enablement. Virtualization ensures a smooth and seamless user experience, regardless of the user’s location or device. It is also ideal for geographically dispersed workforces because it transitions from an offline to an always-on experience. This is highly valued in industries such as banking, insurance, retail, travel and tourism services, among others.
- Flexibility and adaptability. IT departments must execute rapid machinery deployments to fill temporary jobs or conduct training sessions. Others need temporary testing areas to ensure business continuity and to prepare for disaster recovery. These incidents can be easily dealt with by implementing virtual desktops.
- Security reinforcement. Since most threats and security breaches come from network edge, virtualization technology is the best option to reduce risks. Because applications and data are stored in the cloud and not on desktop devices, the risk of data loss, identity or intellectual property theft can be minimized by using non-hardware infrastructure.
- Complex skills are not required. The intrinsic benefits of implementing, configuring, and managing virtual desktop models includes saving on specialized resource provisioning, storage, and monitoring staff. Organizations can also save on an endless amount of technical knowledge that may increase costs. In their replacement, companies can hire external services for support and management tasks.
Each workstation, device, and operating system are remotely located, no matter where the data is stored. A single panel can control and assign user permissions, update equipment, or publish and distribute the application, among other functionalities.
IFX Cloud VDI Plus can be used with public (Internet) or private data networks (MPLS and EPL). It is a fast, simple, and affordable solution that encourages executives to work, meet and collaborate anywhere and from any device, with as much ease and safety as they would in their own office.