The latest increase in technology consumption has triggered a significant surge in cybercriminal attacks aimed at obtaining, modifying, and deleting sensitive data.
Buenos Aires – May 26th, 2021 – Social distancing and lockdown brought on by the pandemic have increased the number of cyber-attacks due to the consequential rise in telecommuting and e-commerce. This increase has given cybercriminals new opportunities to manipulate sensitive data such as banking data and customer lists. During 2020, computer attacks increased in more than 70% in Argentina (1). However, 90% of companies do not have specialized cybersecurity professionals as part of their staff (2).
With time, cyber-attack methods have become increasingly complex putting companies’ information at an even higher risk. The most popular types of cyber-attacks include ransomware (hijacking information for a ransom), phishing (identity theft), pharming (redirection of a domain name to a different server), spyware, spam, grayware (programs that harm computer performance), advanced persistent threats, and malicious code.
“Cybersecurity should be a priority for every company regardless of their industry or size. No company is exempt from being a victim of cyberattacks that can potentially affect their business operations”, says IFX Networks Regional Product Specialist Adriana Jiménez. Below, Jiménez shares5 steps for companies to achieve an effective security structure:
- Carrying out risk analysis: Recognizing an organization’s cybersecurity weaknesses is essential. These vulnerabilities become especially evident when a threat negatively affects a company’s information system. Therefore, it is crucial to monitor and evaluate possible threats to subsequently identify and prioritize those that are most likely to occur.
- Keeping cybersecurity systems updated: More and more companies are beginning to understand the importance of software and hardware updates as they help businesses keep their environment, equipment, and applications safe. Consequently, updating operating system kernels on a regular basis is critical for maintaining optimal performance while assessing errors, mistakes and vulnerabilities that may arise.
- Designing efficient security processes: Having systems that enable faster and more efficient decision-making processes is essential. Likewise, there should be a focus on developing practical problem-solving tactics and resolving repeated issues through application vulnerability scanning, phishing investigations, or threat hunting.
- Training internal employees: Providing security training for employees is vital to ensure that all team members understand cybersecurity issues and threats. This will allow them to take preventive measures, avoid putting the company’s confidential information at risk and, consequently, prevent mistakes that can have serious consequences for the organization.
- Having specialized tools and expert personnel: Competent and qualified cybersecurity professionals are crucial to any company’s IT security team due to their role in planning, organizing, and prioritizing a business’ needs and requests to subsequently obtain optimal results and guarantee the availability and integrity of a companies’ resources. Additionally, every business should have the resources to safely transfer passwords, implement secure protocols and send classified information.
Adriana Jiménez concludes that “To optimize time and costs, organizations are now seeking external security teams that can guarantee the proper handling of their sensitive data. These external security teams give businesses full-time access to IT professionals that can assist and support them with their technical needs.” Jiménez also states that, “At IFX Networks, we provide solutions to achieve internal and external protection such as Close Protection 360, Server and Endpoint Protection, among others. These solutions guarantee the availability, privacy and integrity of an organization’s information, preventing and protecting them from cyberattacks or computer crimes”.
Nevertheless, technological developments and systems will never be 100% secure since hackers will always find ways to take advantage of system flaws. Therefore, now more than ever, it is essential to activate integrated and effective security strategies to prevent cybercrime.
1: Source: BTR Consulting
2: Source: Minsait and SIA